In September 2019 we introduced Jigsaw PSHE It is a comprehensive scheme of work which promotes emotional well being and personal development for our children, encompassing the new statutory requirements for Relationship Education. It supports our SMSC (Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural) learning as well as embedding British Values. Jigsaw supports our ethos and values and everything we are trying to teach the children.
At Pennington Infant School we teach safeguarding through PSHE to help children to…
- manage friendships including how to manage social situations like playtime, conflict, difference of opinion
- develop respect and trust through their behaviour and responses
- resist negative pressure from peers
- know how to keep themselves safe online and in the real world
- regulate their own behaviour and emotional responses
- know how to call the emergency services and the importance of doing so wisely and safely
- recognise who are trusted adults in times of need
- how to maintain positive emotional and physical health and hygiene
- become supportive peers and citizens who listen to others with respect and live comfortably with difference
- know when not to share personal information and how to respect the physical space of others
- understand how certain drugs can be dangerous and the difference with those that are prescribed but always acting with safety in this area
- recognise that families take many different forms
The children have been introduced to the Jiggies Family. Each year group have a puzzle piece who helps them with their thinking and talking in PSHE lessons. Jigsaw Jenie helps in Year R, Jigsaw Jack helps in Year 1 and Jigsaw Jo helps in Year 2. Jerrie Cat and the Chime helps all the children with mindfulness and Calm Me Time.